Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Debussy and Emotional Well-Being...

Tonight I was playing one of my favorites, the Prelude from Debussy's "Suite Bergamasque." The harmonies and rising and falling of the passages reminded me why I love playing music so much: not only can I respond to the music, but it can respond to me. My hands are telling the piano what to express, and in the best of circumstances, the piano carries it out with perfect understanding.

When I'm not emotionally "in tune," however, I find that it is reflected in my piano playing. If I am distracted, it goes without saying that my playing will sound distracted. I think I've discovered that throughout my life, I've used the piano as sort of an indicator of what's going on internally. It's a healthy way for me to disengage from life in a productive way -- instead of ignoring my emotions, it allows them to be gently exposed, leaving my body just a little less cluttered from the world.

Meanwhile, you've got to listen to Debussy's Suite Bergamasque. Most people only hear Clair de Lune, which is the suite's last movement, but the first two movements are gorgeous and have their own character, and will give greater depth to your understanding of the more familiar Clair de Lune...anyway. Have a good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment